Tuesday, May 26, 2009

PAPARAZZI - Cold In A Warm Climate (1984) (Unreleased)



(sleeve photo of 'Don't Stay All Night', Glyn is on the left, standing, Nick is sitting next to him, David is standing at the back and I am (Michael) sitting at the front on the right.)

(photo of Michael and the drummer Glyn on location for the video in Morrocco)


Country:
UK
Genre:
Electronic, Rock
Style:
New Wave, Synth-Pop

Members:
Michael Dorian - Singer, some guitar, some piano/keyboards, songwriter.
Nicholas Eugovni - Keyboards.
David Manray - Bass, backing vocals.
Glyn Ricard - Drummer.

VIDEO:
"Don't Stay All Night"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebqinai4_AQ&feature=channel_page

Credits:
Producer - Paparazzi , Thereza Bazar (Dollar fame)
Written-By - Micael Dorian
Photography - Andy Earl (
http://www.andyearl.com/)

Tracklist:

01 Don't Stay All Night
02 Surrender
03 Stop (Remix)
04 Montage
05 Midnight In Blue
06 In A Manner Of Speaking
07 Pictures In Love
08 Cold In A Warm Climate
09 Tell Me
10 Love Motions
11 Don't Stay All Night (Extended)
12 Pictures Of Love (Extended)
13 Stop (Extended)
14 Love Motions (12" Sax Instrumental)
15 Surrender (Instrumental)


Link to download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/233969435/paparazzi_-_cold_in_a_warm_climate__1984_.rar

A wonderful and brilliant album from an unknown new romantic band, i got it from a visitor by email who also downloaded it somewhere (p2p).
Their style is a bit similar to The Expression (Australian new wave band) where the singer try to follow David Sylvian's vocal.
Only two singles ("Don't Stay All Night" and "Stop")have ever released from the album. Ther are many more god songs on it, so what i really don't understand why MCA didn't want to release the whole album as well??


(a shot from the 'Stop' video)

Biography:
New Wave/Synthpop band produced by Thereza Bazar from Dollar fame. Released two singles and an album titled “Cold In a warm climate” in 1983-1984 before dissapearing into the oblivion. Their album is unreleased actually.
(
http://radio.aol.co.uk/music/Paparazzi)


(photo of Michel Dorian)

The only member i know was Michael Dorian, who played with:


Nina Hagen - Angstlos 1983
Viktor Lazlo - Viktor Lazlo 1987
The Gap Band - Straight from the Heart 1988
Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Heavenly 1997
Lillian Axe - Lillian Axe 1988
Lillian Axe - Love and War 1989
The Skwares - Start It Up 1988
Terence Trent D'Arby - Terence Trent D'Arby's Vibrator 1995

And he was also the meber of the AOr band: Eyes (
http://www.rockdetector.com/artist/usa/glendale/eyes)

I also found something else:

"My good freind and keyboardist Michael Dorian on the set of the Terence Trent D'arby tour (I took the picture). I spent a lot of time at Michael's studio up in the valley (his mom is the best cook...). Michael and I also did a trade show gig for SyQuest at the COMDEX show in Las Vegas." (
http://www.middleofnowhere.com/photos_artist.asp )

I have tried to get in touch with Thereza Bazar for further info, but she didn't answered me till now:(

MICHAEL DORIAN added:

"We were signed to MCA on a long contract, having turned down Virgin and EMI and recorded the album with Thereze. Thereze was not in the band but she produced the album and even came to Morroco with us to shoot the video for 'stop'.
'Stop', was the first single and sold around 10,000, followed by 'Don't Stay All Night'.

As well as a video for 'Stop', we filmed a live set at the Old Rep Theatre in Birmingham with Andy Earl, there are copies of this still around.

The band split because Nick couldn't face the idea of a long tour and I didn't want to continue without him. After the split MCA asked me to re-record surrender as a solo release; I did this but it remains on their shelves somewhere.

I asked MCA to release me from the contract after which Nick and I did some writing/production for various peoole. David and Glyn formed a new band together. I also formed a new band and recorded an album for extravaganza/BMG. This band has never actually split and I am in the process of writing a new album after a long time away."




(Paparazzi live photo)


I have to ask the mebers here to message me please!

More info:
????

Many thanks to Michael Dorian for the pix!!

19 Comments:

Blogger harleytexas said...

I heard the song Stop once in the 80's, loved, found the 12" and never found anything else.....until now. Thanks! I played this song on my retro 80's show and had a guy try to stump me when I was djing in a bar and he requested this song....3 songs later, he got his request. lol

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Salty:)
PAPARAZZI is completely unknown band of 80s for me, but... one of the members of this group is very "important". THEREZA BAZAR from duo DOLLAR (them unforgettable "The Shooting Star","Videotheque" or "Hand Held Black & White")
Dear Salty - could You present this duo on Your blog, plaease?
Best Regards.
KomakinoKate

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Dorian 2009 said...

Hello,

Well what a find.

I am Michael Dorian and I wrote these songs. The picture is not me though, I'm far better looking and have a lot more hair!!

The band split because the keyboard player couldn't tour due to chronic nerves and I didn't want to keep it going without him. Thereze was not in the band but she produced the album and even came to Morroco with us to shoot the video for 'stop'.

Where did you find this track listing? As far as I know, it was never officially put together in this way.

Regards,

Michael.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Dorian said...

Hello Salty,

The members of the band were:

Michael Dorian - Singer, some guitar, some piano/keyboards, songwriter.

Nicholas Eugovni - Keyboards.

David Manray - Bass, backing vocals.

Glyn Ricard - Drummer.

In the picture you have of the sleeve of 'Don't Stay All Night', Glyn is on the left, standing, Nick is sitting next to him, David is standing at the back and I am sitting at the front on the right.

We were signed to MCA on a long contract, having turned down Virgin and EMI and recorded the album with Thereze. 'Stop', was the first single and sold around 10,000, followed by 'Don't Stay All Night'.

As well as a video for 'Stop', we filmed a live set at the Old Rep Theatre in Birmingham with Andy Earl, there are copies of this still around.

The band split because Nick couldn't face the idea of a long tour and I didn't want to continue without him. After the split MCA asked me to re-record surrender as a solo release; I did this but it remains on their shelves somewhere.

I asked MCA to release me from the contract after which Nick and I did some writing/production for various peoole. David and Glyn formed a new band together. I also formed a new band and recorded an album for extravaganza/BMG. This band has never actually split and I am in the process of writing a new album after a long time away.

I don't want this to get too tedious so that's all I will say for now. I have various pics, including a replacement for the one you thought was of me, I just need an email address to get them to you.

One last thing. Glyn, if you find this.........NO!!!! (he will know what I mean).

Michael.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Mike, if that really is you - and it sounds like it is - get in touch!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Dorian said...

Hi Mike,

Yes it is me, how are you? It's a long time since we were the Lords of Kensington!!

Are you still involved in music?

Michael

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again Michael! Finally i know who were the members! And thank you in advance for the new photo as well!!

My email is:
saltyka@freemail.hu

Salty

7:16 AM  
Blogger Mikey said...

:) We should probably take this chat elsewhere! I'm too old & too bald for music. Am writing for The Times instead.

I am on The Facebook (so is Mostyn!), or as @blockbusterbuzz on Twitter, or in a million other places...

5:34 AM  
Blogger bellacharlie said...

can't believe the interest in this fab band. let's push MCA to reissue the back catalogue.
if you like paparazzi check out glyn's nephew's band at www.the premaritalsect.com
c'mon i want to see paparazzi play live again!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Guys....Were there ever any promo records pressed of Cold in a Warm Climate...I would give my right arm for one!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous beatmonster said...

Thanks Salty. I now have the album on my iPhone. Hard to believe, I had been looking for "Stop" over 25 years. First heard in Toronto Canada at a dance club called Twilight Zones. Back then, many people went crazy dancing to the song. Over the year, I found "Don't Say All Night" 12" single. I had given up searching all over USA cities record stores. Many clubs DJs in San Francisco in the 80's not even playing "Stop", I supposed "Stop" didn't make it to US west coast cities. However, all came together with Google, YouTube, and eBay. They weren't around when Paparazzi started. Would it be a dream if one day we all can go to a concert put together by Michael? I am Paparazzi fan forever.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a Great Blog...and the insight on Paparazzi is very informative. The link unfortunately is dead. Anyway of getting it re-upped?

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ta DAH

http://www.multiupload.com/NL6G793JY0

found it.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoah, what a fascinating bit of information I stumbled onto here about Paparazzi! I would really like to know how I can get the extended version of "Pictures"/"Pictures of Love" but both links don't seem to work on either my computer or mobile browser. If someone could re-upload it I would really appreciate it (out at least point me in its direction)!

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone,
I discovered this band on Andy's 80's and I really enjoy the extended version of Pictures of Love. Can anyone share the files with me? The link posted does not work.
Cheers!
Eric

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric-

I have the entire 15-track album, Cold in a Warm Climate, to include the extended version of "Pictures of Love." On the whole it is really a great album! If the original artists do not mind, I would be happy to spread awareness and share with you that song. Please contact me kchri@hotmail.com for lack of a better method. Thanks

1:58 AM  
Blogger glenjarnold said...

Hi Michael. Hope all is well. Only just found this blog after much trawling! I have a copy of LIACC (unofficial, of course!) given to me in 2012 by Glyn. Crying shame it was never released. He asked me to get in touch with Cherry Red to see if they'd release it, but I'm quite sure there's a lot more to it than just that, and I'm no expert in this field by any stretch of the imagination! I do, however, have a friend who owns a small label and has successfully released some albums on vinyl-only format. Just a thought.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Poison said...

I just can't believe Michael Dorian got in touch here, I've been looking for their full album Cold In A Warm Climate for ages. Why doesn't someone make a decent CD with bands history and some photos?? They are the prototype '80s New Wave band and a fantastic one! I didn't know he played in some other AOR bands I listen to from the early '90s - Lillian Axe and Eyes! Michael if you can see this please respond! :-)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ve heard these. Not bad but basically it’s the production that ‘does it’
The lead singer looked like Dot Cotton in a leather trench coat😂 and sung like Scott Walker with a cork up his arse.
And one of their songs was a straight rip-off of that Bauhaus song ‘Kick In The Eye’ hardly Bryan Ferry is it?🤣

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home